Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. --Albert Einstein
BB Communications is a strategic marketing and communications consulting firm that partners with purpose-driven organizations to build brand, engage audiences, develop business & grow impact. Active in the areas of education, design & architecture, culture & the arts, healthcare/health advocacy, environmental, start-ups, social enterprises, cause marketing, and companies with strong sustainability/corporate social responsibility (CSR) orientations. Specializing in Marketing Strategy / Communications Strategy / Branded Communications / Publications / Writing / Editing / Video / Partnerships / Coaching
--For county mental health board funding 30 agencies: Created communications strategy and plan to advocate for sustained level of tax-generated support and increase client awareness of and access to services.
--For consultant to nonprofits: Developed new marketing plan, content strategy and blog, generating new business and invitations to contribute to 2 industry websites.
--For senior living community: Produced first-ever annual report, contributing to generation of new major gifts.
--For interactive, site-specific public arts project: Provided marketing and fund-raising counsel as part of advisory board.
--For NYC-based online education nonprofit: Developed pitch strategy, funding leads and grant proposal.
Developed and executed brand-building activities to support college's development and enrollment goals. Led program to enhance college’s visibility and reputation through image advertising, event partnerships, web content management, and social media. Advised unit-level marketing directors on marketing strategy and plans. Managed $350K institutional advertising program. Supported marquee events and market research activities. Contributed to cross-college taskforces on brand re-visioning, sustainability, storytelling, and significant programmatic initiatives.
- Leveraged annual media budget, negotiating 'added value' opportunities, optimal positions, and long-term contracts and stretching spend impact by up to 40%.
- Produced marketing collateral and videos for fundraising events that generated over $1M.
- Created and executed college’s first data-driven, multi-channel image advertising campaigns, increasing awareness about college and winning faculty buy-in.
- Explored, negotiated, and executed strategic partnerships valued between $10K and $150K with cultural organizations, positioning college as leader in creative industries.
- Led well-attended cross-campus group of 40+ staff with marketing and communications roles, increasing adherence to brand standards, enhancing collaboration, and maximizing budgetary impact.
Served as strategic communications consultant for schools of Art & Architecture, Social Work, and Nursing.
- Performed communications audits and stakeholder interviews for each school, developing marketing recommendations and plans that streamlined internal processes and enhanced program marketing.
Managed strategic communications planning and media relations for clients in economic/community development, social service, sustainable design and historic restoration.
- Achieved record media placements for Chicago Neighborhood Development Awards, a project of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Chicago, increasing attendance and awareness.
Conducted image-building, positioning, and recruitment initiatives for university. Covered media relations during extended transitional period. Served on advisory teams for institutional market research program, new graphic identity package, and crisis communications.
• Steered conceptual and creative development and upgrades of high-profile advancement publications, including hard-won launch of first-ever university magazine.
• Won 4 awards for publication improvement and design from CASE, IABC, and USDA.
• Handled ad hoc crisis communications during 9/11 terror attacks, reducing anxiety within university community and addressing parental concerns.
Coordinated production calendar, steered publications projects and managed budget. Wrote and edited copy for high-level marketing pieces and major special projects. Contributed to university and departmental strategic marketing plans.
• Strengthened message consistency as supervisor of newly combined editorial, media, and internal communications staff.
Edited and produced numerous marketing publications, including quarterly alumni publication with circulation of 53K.
• Negotiated 20% savings on printing while expanding distribution by 10% and enhancing reader engagement through surveys.
Created curriculum and taught 2500 adult learners from 40 countries at all levels of proficiency, from Level 0 and literacy through advanced (pre-college). Designed and taught courses in pronunciation and idiomatic English, as well as TESOL (Test of English as a Second or Other Language) preparation.